The Nebraska Heart Institute and Heart Hospital is your best choice for heart care in Nebraska. In addition to providing an outstanding patient experience, we have an excellent record of accomplishment.
We have exceptional outcomes
We’ve created a safe environment.
.25% operative mortality rate for the first three quarters of 2013 for coronary artery bypass surgery
Our patients have faster recovery times.
52% of patients are breathing on their own before leaving the operating room, and more than 70% are doing so within six hours (only 38% of Johns Hopkins’ patients are breathing on their own within six hours)
Our infection rates are nonexistent.
0% incidence of sternal infection following coronary artery bypass surgery in the first three quarters of 2013
We provide superior performance.
Top 5% in the nation for carotid surgery, top 10% for cardiac surgery, and top 10% in patient satisfaction
We lead the way in innovation
NHI physicians were the first to:
- Use a biological valve in Nebraska.
- Complete a heart transplant in Lincoln.
- Complete a lung transplant in Nebraska.
- Perform laser heart surgery in Nebraska.
- Use the thoracoscopic maze procedure to treat atrial fibrillation.
- Implement transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
- Perform an off-pump bypass surgery.
- Use a drug-eluting stent.
- Perform a balloon angioplasty in Nebraska.
- Complete an open-heart surgery without general anesthesia.
- Treat irregular heartbeat using minimally invasive surgery.
- Administer radiation via brachytherapy (radiation inside the stent).
We’re nationally recognized for excellence
Healthgrades Rankings – #1 in Nebraska
- Ranked #1 in Nebraska for Overall Cardiac Services (2006–2013)
- Ranked #1 in Nebraska for Cardiac Surgery (2011–2013)
- Ranked #1 in Nebraska for Cardiology Services (2013)
- Ranked #1 in Nebraska for Vascular Surgery (2007–2013)
Healthgrades Rankings – Top 10% or Better in the United States
- Ranked in the Top 5% in the Nation for Outstanding Patient Experience (2009–2012)
- Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiac Surgery (2011–2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Vascular Surgery (2011–2013)
Healthgrades Rankings – 5-Star Achievements**
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery (2005–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure (2005–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia (2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Vascular Surgery (2011–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Carotid Surgery (2005–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Peripheral Vascular Bypass (2011–2013)
** Patients who choose 5-star rated hospitals have a 53.36% higher chance of surviving compared to the U.S. hospital average.